Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I wish I was a Waldkinder


I was reading my copy of Mothering magazine the other day and came across an article on waldkintergartens. Apparently, it is quite common in Germany and Scandinavia and sounds way cool. The kids that attend are anywhere from 3-6 years old. They meet up with their teacher every morning at an indoor location and then head out into the woods for the rest of the day, even in rain or snow. They spend the time exploring and observing nature and learning about animals, plants, cooking, building fires, sharpening sticks, and other outdoor skills. I wish I could have gone to one of these. I wish they had them here now so I could send Finn to one. I think kids spend way too much time inside and hate to think of Finn spending every year after he turns 5 sitting inside behind a desk all day. Maybe I'll have to start my own waldkindergarten. Here's an article that the Telegraph did about waldkindergartens. Don't you wish you could have spent your first years of school outside?

4 comments:

Beth said...

Erin, you should start one! I would enroll Abram!!....and I am not joking.

Katy Beth said...

That sounds awsome! I would so rather Livvy do that. Btw, if you start one, I'll help!

Laura said...

That is a really cool idea. Can I enroll? :)

andrea said...

Yes! I agree! I loved Oliva's school in Maryville. They understood that kids need to be more active. I was fooled by her new school at first with it's fancy computers...but now I realize it's just like all the others. She gets sent home with stupid worksheet homework pages. It really annoys me, especially when they want her to waste time coloring dumb pictures for no reason. She is much too creative to waste time with that! Please move to Nashville and start a school next year. :)