Monday, January 12, 2009

Beware the CPSIA

Maybe I'm the last one to hear about the mess that the new law Congress passed a few months ago known as the Consumer Product Safety Information Act (CPSIA) has the potential to create. At first glance it appears to be a good law - it requires testing of all toys and any products used by children for lead and pthalates by Febuaray 10th, 2009. Any not tested will be considered hazardous waste and cannot be sold unless you want to incur a big fine. This rule applies not only to toys made after Feb. 10 but also all that are on the self. Not only do toy makers have to do testing, but apparently the sellers of toys must test what is on their shelves. This is fine for the big toy makers and stores - they can afford it, but what about the small handmade toy companies and stay at home moms who make and sell children's items? They will probably have to go out of business. Testing is very expensive if your a small company - each test can cost $500, and if you have to test a batch of each item you make, that adds up very quickly. What's ironic is that a lot of these small businesses and moms started making toys and other goods for children because they wanted safer options for their kids. Now they'll be out of business and the only option will be to buy from the big toy makers who are the ones who caused all the problems to begin with. So if you like to buy toys from small businesses or on Etsy or if you make items for children and sell them yourself, you should get involved. If you want a little more info, here are some links to news articles here, here, and here. There is also a lot of information on the Mothering Magazine website. They also have some ideas for sample letters to write your senators and congressmen/women. It is also a good idea to call them. I buy most of Finn's toys from small businesses that sell or make toys. I do this because I like to support the little guy and because the toys are of better quality and made by companies whose main objective is to make great toys for kids with natural materials and dyes. I don't want Finn to grow up toyless, but I'm not going to start buying plastic toys because that's my only option after Feb. 10 (Sorry, I don't mean to offend any of you who do buy plastic toys, but I prefer wooden toys. I think they are nicer and last longer, and they're made from a natural material). I guess I'll have to take up woodworking myself.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I know! It's so ridiculous! Don't get me started on the government trying to be involved in inappropriate aspects of our lives! I have been trying to figure out how this affects used toy sales as well... garage sales, thrift shops etc. (as well as independent businesses but you already mentioned that) Of course I haven't yet read your articles, perhaps they discuss that. Anyway, I'm glad you brought this up, it has me up in arms so to speak as well