Thursday, May 14, 2009

South American Adventure Part 3 - Tigre

On Friday, we were ready to get out of the city. Desi and I both prefer to be in smaller towns and more rural areas. Since we only had a week, we couldn't go very far unfortunately. I really wanted to explore southern Argentina, but a flight was too expensive and a bus took too long. So, we decided to head to Tigre, which is just north of Buenos Aires and the gateway to exploring the beautiful Prana Delta. After getting a place to stay, we headed out on a canoe trip of the Delta. Our canoe is pictured above. The people who run the canoe tours build their own canoes and they are beautiful. I wish I could have bought one, although I doubt they'd let me take it on the plane.
While on the canoe trip we explored what everyone refers to as "the island". Its the land mass that lies across the river from Tigre. There are no roads here - just waterways. Everyone who lives on the island has to use a boat, canoe, or kayak to get around. I loved paddling around the waterways. It was so quiet and peaceful. It was a nice change from Buenos Aires.
This is a picture of Desi and I after our canoe trip. Our guide Rogero took it. The building in the background is the yacht club. Looks nice, huh?

Next, we headed over to the art museum in Tigre. Getting to explore the building itself was worth the price of admission to me. It was old and big with huge windows and ceilings painted with various scenes and figures. It also had a spiral staircase with granite steps. I love old staircases like that. The landscaping outside was also gorgeous - very open and green with colorful flowers - and it was right on the river.

There wasn't a whole lot of art too see because they were preparing to open a new show in a few days and that area was closed off. However, I enjoyed the work I did see. The painting above was one of my favorites.



The bed and breakfast we stayed at was wonderful. The lady who ran it, Ali, was an artist and she had her artwork hung everywhere. She was also very nice and helpful. The whole place was just peaceful and beautiful. Desi and I would have been content to stay here the whole time, but we really wanted to see Uruguay. This picture is the view from our balcony - the pool and pool house - which was all part of the bed and breakfast.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I think you just described my dream day. I really must follow your lead and travel more!