Wednesday, May 13, 2009

South American Adventure Part 2 - Buenos Aires

Before I went I had been told that Buenos Aires was the most European city outside of Europe. I believe it. This statue is just one example. This statue was at the zoo. Not exactly what you'd expect to find at a zoo in Buenos Aires, but I think that's why I enjoyed the place so much. I would expect to see a statue like this in a European art museum and in fact, a lot of the statues were replicas of statues I would find in Europe. I loved all the statues and took lots of pictures. I also loved all the wonderful bakeries and candy shops like I remember from France and lots of pizza and gelato like in Italy. Needless to say, Desi and I ate a lot.
This is Hotel Chile where we stayed. Great price, great location, and a very friendly staff. The guy who gave us our room seemed to really like us, but I didn't know how much until we stepped outside and looked at the building. See the huge balcony at the top there? That's the room he gave us, and the view from the balcony was magnificent!
There was a huge international book fair going on while we were there so we stopped in to check it out. Lots of books, mostly in Spanish of course. I did buy Finn a beautifully illustrated book in Spanish. I also learned that Star Wars and Elvis are truly universal and can be found anywhere.

This is me at the Botanical Gardens. I wish we could have been there in the Spring! It was beautiful without a lot of flowers, but I would love to be there when all the flowers are in bloom.

There were also lots of cats at the gardens running around everywhere. I guess the piles of cat food left for them on the sidewalks in the gardens keeps them hanging around.

1 comment:

Amber said...

How lovely, though I could do without the cats... that's really... odd.